Vegetable Chop is a popular street food in Calcutta. Beets, carrots, peanuts, and other vegetables are cooked and topped with breadcrumbs, then baked until golden brown and served with mustard sauce and onion and cucumber slices. Loaded with vegetables is an amazing snack for evening.
Ingredients- Vegetable Chop
- Carrot-One Piece
- Potato-One piece
- Beetroot-One Piece
- Crushed Raw Peanuts-One Tablespoon
- Grated Ginger- One Tablespoon
- Fennel Seeds-Half Teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds-Half Teaspoon
- Black Cumin Powder-One Pinch
- Dried Red Chillies- Two
- Crushed Cardamom Seeds- Two
- Cinnamon Stick- Half Inch
- Whole Black Peppercorns- Three
- Salt-Asp Per Your Requirements
- Sugar-One Teaspoon
- Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs-One Cup
- Corn Flour-Four Tablespoon
- For Frying Sunflower Oil
How To Prepare Kolkata Style Vegetable Chop
- To begin making Kolkata Style Vegetable Chop Recipe, heat a kadai and roast the dry spices (fennel, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, dry red chilli, black peppercorn,), let them cool down and grind to a powder. Keep aside.
- Peel the vegetables, wash them well and cut into big chunks. Cook till the first whistle goes off, remove from heat. Wait till the pressure releases. Take out all the vegetables and keep in a colander to drain out all the excess water.
- Grate the cooked vegetables.
- In a non-stick, pan add some oil(1tbsp) and when the oil is boiling reduce the heat and add grated ginger and the vegetables.
- Add the powdered spices and crushed peanuts. Stir well. Add salt and sugar. Keep cooking for 5-6min. Switch off the heat. Let the mixture cool down.
- Make small balls with the mixture. The size and shape depend on individuals choice, I did a cylindrical shape.
- Make a thin mixture by mixing water and cornflour. Dip the vegetable balls in the mixture and roll them in bread crumbs.
- Repeat the process. So the vegetable balls coated twice with bread crumbs.
- Deep fry the chops and drain on a kitchen towel.
- Serve Kolkata Style Vegetable Chop Recipe with mustard sauce or coriander sauce and Slices of onion and cucumber, during the evening.