Mutton Kolhapuri the red curry with an inch-thick layer of oil sloshing at the top; the sort of fare that needs to be consumed with a bucketful of water at hand to quench those flaming taste-buds. This dish belongs from Kolhapur which is a historic city of Maharashtra in India.
- Cloves -8 nos.
- Cube Mutton (Cleaned) -Half kg.
- Peppercorns- 9 nos.
- Onions, chopped- 2 nos. large
- Grated Coconut – Half
- Coriander leaves -1 cup
- Red Chilies -6 nos.
- Medium Size Potatoes (peeled & halved) – 4 Nos.
- Chopped Tomatoes- 3 nos.
- Turmeric Powder -1 Tsp.
- Ginger-Garlic paste -1 Tablespoon
- Poppy seeds – 1 Tsp.
- Aniseeds 1- Tsp.
- Coriander seeds -1 Tsp.
How to cook hot ‘n’ spicy mutton kolhapuri?
- Add salt, turmeric and ginger-garlic paste to the meat pieces, mix well and keep aside for an hour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil on medium heat add cloves, peppercorn, poppy seeds, coriander seeds, aniseeds and red chillies. Lightly fry.
- Next, add onion and cook till it turns light brown.
- After that mix, the coconut and tomatoes and cook for a few minutes more, until the colour is brown. Let the mixture be cool and grind to a paste.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pressure cooker and add the meat and potatoes, stir and fry till the colour turn light golden.
- Add masala paste, salt, water if needed and cook in a pressure cooker until the meat is soft and juicy.
- Remove from the cooker into a serving pot.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with basmati rice, salad and curd.
Check out our other recipes here