Shepherd’s pie is minced mutton cooked in mild spices, baked with mashed potatoes and cheese. It’s a delicious savoury pie which originally belongs from the United Kingdom and Ireland.
- Minced Mutton – 450 Grams
- Olive Oil – 1 Tablespoon
- 1 Onion- Medium sized finely chopped
- Chopped Ginger – 1Tablespoon
- Chopped Garlic – 1 Tablespoon
- Dried oregano -3Tsp
- Peppercorns (Crushed) – To Taste
- 1 carrot – Medium sized, cut into cubes
- Chopped Celery – 1 Tsp
- Corn kernels – ½ cup parboiled
- Green peas – ¼ cup
- 1 tomato – Medium sized, finely chopped
- Chicken Stock – 2 Cups
- Salt to taste
- 3 Boiled Potatoes – Mashed
- Milk – ¼ cup
- Butter – 2 Tablespoon
- Garnishing – Grated Cheddar Cheese
How to make Shepherd’s pie?
- Preheat oven at 180ºC and heat olive oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add onion and saute till translucent. Add ginger and garlic, mix and sauté till it turns a golden colour.
- Next, mix the mutton and cook for 5-7 minutes with 2 tsp dried oregano and crushed peppercorns and mix well.
- Add carrot, celery, corn kernels, green peas, tomato and mix it well.
- Add chicken stock and salt, mix and cook on medium heat for 35-40 minutes.
- Take mashed potatoes in a bowl. Add milk and butter and mix well. Add remaining dried oregano, crushed peppercorns and salt and mix again.
- Layer a glass baking dish with the mutton mixture spread mashed potato mixture evenly and top with some cheese. Put the glass baking dish on a baking tray, place the baking tray in preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Check out our other recipes – here